When I bought this back in May, I was super excited to be embarking on another bright and glorious yarn fuelled journey. This Stylecraft was going to be the ingredients for a sunny and beautiful "Granny Stripe" that planned on making for a friend at work.
Dani (my friend and work colleague) had seen pictures of the other blankets I had made and (ever so nicely) asked if I would make her one. She wanted something bright and fun (like her personality), but didn't mind what it was. I decided upon a "Granny Stripe" as they are nice and simple to make and the end results are simply stunning.
Dani had said that there was no rush for her blanket to be completed, so I decided to make it a side line project. A project that I would work on gradually, whilst also working on other projects.
I decided upon a stripe a day.
I was pretty busy with rehearsals at work and also going to German school, so one stripe a day was easily do-able.
I got cracking with the project and was doing my best at being random with my colour selections. I was loving the results!! It was so happy looking and I was extremely pleased with how it was progressing.
Things got a little hectic at work and I fell behind on my "stripe a day" and for a short while the blanket ceased to grow.
When I finally got around to continuing with the blanket I found that my motivation had dwindled. I just wasn't feeling the "Granny Stripe", not to mention, I had been totally inspired by some "Granny Square" blankets I had seen whilst browsing the internet. (Sandra's blanket, Little Tin Bird's Elmer Squares)
I decided to pull the "Granny Stripe" apart and give making a solid "Granny Square" blanket a whirl.
It was so nice to make these little squares, so simple and quick, not to mention easy to join together.
My "Granny Square" blanket was a constant presence at work and at home. Always in the background waiting to grow.
The blanket seemed to grow at an extremely fast rate. I would keep a small stash of colours and a hook in my rucksack. It was so easy to quickly pull out my mini stash and make another square.
I was always surprised at how different the colours worked next to one another. Sometimes the blanket looked very blue and other times very pink.
The only thing that I did plan, was to ensure that every colour was used in equal quantities. I didn't want one colour to overwhelm the blanket.
Two months after beginning, my blanket was finished!!!!
I am so completely chuffed with how it turned out!
It has so many different colours and seems to complement many things very well.
You've probably noticed I added a border. Just a simple one but it definitely does the trick.
A multicoloured blanket of happiness!
It's been such a pleasure to make. Really it has!
I'll let you in on a secret........I've seriously considered keeping this for myself! EEEEEK! I know that's terrible, but I'm truly in love with it. I also know that Dani will love it, and she is lovely!
I guess I'll just have to get cracking on another one for myself!!!
I just have a few more ends to sew in and then I'll have to say goodbye :-) It's really going to be tuff parting with it, but I'll enjoy it for the final few days that I have it!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.