Saturday 11 July 2015

Poppy Love

Hello there!! I do hope you are all well? 
Once again I've been away for far too long, but I have good reasons!! You see I've been a little preoccupied. 
I've been living a dream that I've had for most of my life and one that Dennis and I have shared for over 5 years. The dream of being doggy parents!!! 
It seems a little surreal even writing this post, as having a dog has always been something that I knew would happen in the future,  just not something that would be happening now. 
She's the cutest bundle of fluff and already I'm 100% in love with her!
Her name is Poppy and she's a 9 week old Bolonka Zwetna, who's already earned the place of being my sidekick.  

 

Dennis and I knew that getting a dog takes a lot of responsibility and time, and after years of deliberating realised that there was never going to be the perfect time to get a puppy. Now was as good a time as ever. 
After finally deciding that we were going to take the plunge and get a dog, we set about looking online for breeders that dealt specifically in this breed. We already knew the breed from looking after our friends dog, Hayley (Here are some pics of Hayley from previous post, "The Dog Collar", "A Walk In The Park"). We thought that this breed of dog would suit us well as they remain pretty small, which is better for our apartment. Also they shed no fur, which is great for my allergies! 
After making contact with a breeder we patiently awaited the birth date. On the 6th of May she was born, along with her (also) black and white sister and her chocolate brown brother.


So tiny and eyes not yet open. We had to wait until her fourth week before we could go and visit. What a wait that was, it seemed like forever.  
On the 6th of June we made our journey to the breeders house,  it was a couple of hours away North of Stuttgart. It happened to be the same weekend that my Mum and Dad were visiting, so they also came (very excitedly) along for the trip. 

What a moment that was! Seeing our puppy for the very first time.


She was so insanely small, very cute and already intrigued by her surrounding environment. It brought tears to my eyes holding her for the first time, so small and vulnerable.


We both held her for a while, before just watching and observing as her very proud mother gave her a wash and a cuddle.  

Our minds were made up that she was the dog for us!
The next month was a month of planning, buying toys, bowls, beds and other essentials.


Dennis and I were totally excited and more than prepared! We both had a countdown set on our phones, counting down to the very special day.


Every morning we would cross one more day off of our chalk board calendar.


The day was finally here!! We both couldn't believe it! Very excited,  but a little nervous and anxious of how things were going to be.  

We left bright and early and made our journey to the breeders house. 
The second I saw Poppy again, my nerves melted away and I knew that things were going to be ok. 
Here's the picture that the breeder took of us, shortly before we were about to head back home. "Over the moon" seems to sum up our moods.  Dennis and I and our 8 week old puppy, named Poppy.


Poppy had a really easy drive home, no crying, vomiting, pooping or peeing. Pretty amazing considering she was leaving her old home and traveling with us for the first time in a car. All of this and on the hottest day of the year!

Once at home we took her for a walk so she could relieve herself. She did very well and seemed curious of her new environment.


She's settling in splendidly and already finding a nice routine along with the two of us.


It's now been a whole week since we picked her up. 
Dennis and I are a little tired from the wake ups in the night, but above all we are insanely thrilled to have her. 
Summed up...this is up there as one of the best weeks of my life! We've played and cuddled and licked and explored, sniffed and slept and cuddled some more!


You'll be seeing lots more of this fur ball around here!
Wishing you all a lovely weekend! We're off to our first puppy play class today, should be fun!!

This post has moved!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.

Click here to read this post in full at it's new home!

42 comments:

  1. Sigh...... so cute! Wishing you a lot of luck with Poppy, byebye

    ReplyDelete
  2. So insanely cute - she's adorable! I'm so thrilled for you (and rather jealous, I'm still at the stage of really wanting a dog but not feeling like I'll be able to home one just yet). Please keep the photos coming - I always love visiting your blog but rarely comment. Though I couldn't let this occasion pass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah so cuuuute❤️
    Wishing the two of you lots of luck and happiness with Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poppy is a lucky doggie, sooooo cute! Reminds me of when ours was as small as this :-) be careful to keep balls of yarn away from her, I speak from experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm seeing many many Poppy photo ops in the future.....sooooooo cute! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! She is adorable. I have no doubt you'll make wonderful Puppy Parents! Xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful little dog. Too many people have dogs and don't look after them, but I know you both will. Poppy is adorable. Wishing you all many happy times and wonderful years ahead. A dog is demanding but so very giving. To any people thinking how cute, please be aware they need YOU more than anything else, so if you don't have time to give them your love, then be kind to all and don't get a dog just yet. Cats also love company despite what people say!

    Thanks for sharing pictures she looks a delightful little dog!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG She's friggin gorgeous! Aw I remember when ours was that small. She used to sleep on two pillows like the princess on the pea. They grow up so fast Haha!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is sooo adorable. We had a cocker spaniel who very sadly passed away in March. I was completely devastated. I miss the companionship and as a result we are just now starting to look at getting another one. Of course they will never replace my baby boy but dogs are just so loyal and loving I can't imagine now being without one, you'll never look back now you've got Poppy. Enjoy her, she's beautiful. Have fun and I look forward to watching her grow. :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so sweet! I'm more of a cat person but I can't resist these tiny bundles of joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a little cutie, no wonder your are in love!
    I wish you lots of fun, love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Poppy is lovely! Can't wait to read more posts about her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet puppi! It seems like she will get the best dog life ever with the 2 of you. Congratulation to you all. Kind regards Kay

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats, she's adorable. There's nothing like having a furry companion. Many years of joy with her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She's adorable! I'm in Las Vegas right now. Staying at the Planet Hollywood! Give her a hug from me. Hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous little dog. Look forward to seeing lots of lovely photos of her. She's so photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful little girl. Congratulations! Having 2 huge lurchers myself who arrived as tiny bundles of warm fur, I know what you are going through - enjoy the cuddles! She is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Extremely cute! Your dog is such a sweetie.
    Have both a wonderful life with her!
    Many greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't wait to see what cute accessories you crochet for her. Congratulations!
    Sharon in North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a face! Adorable! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi matt...such poppy, puppy cuteness...the love she returns to you and dennis will be ten-fold...it will be lovely to watch her grow and learn...thank you for sharing...take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations!! I read your blog, but haven't commented until now. This occasion demands a HAPPY DANCE!!!
    ������
    I'm sure you'll make lots of doggie sweaters before winter arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  23. She is beautiful. What a wonderful addition to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Time to do some crochet for Poppy! Blankets and toys! What fun, she is beautiful!! Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah Matt I love how you share your joys! Puppy parenthood and the love dogs devote to their people are indeed some of life's highlights. Every blessing to you Dennis and your new baby Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! What a lovely name for her!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations, to you and Dennis! I really fell in love with your little puppy Poppy :-D She is just sooooooooooooooooo cute! :-D Enjoy your life with her <3
    Moni

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your new puppy! She is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ohhh she is so cute!!! Very lovely!!!!
    I found your blog because I search something of crochet.... And I signed myself in your!
    Excuse me for my english but I'm working for learning very well.
    Now I'm working a blanket for a baby, yellow, grey and blue... What do you suggest me for the border?
    If you want I can send you an image.
    Fantastic this blog, love so much!!!

    P.s. I have a little dog too... His name is Tomy and he has 1 year, did yesterday!

    Bye bye Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gosh...how cute is that! She's such a beauty! Thank you for sharing this adventure with us!
    Love to read you blog, great job! Hoffe es geht Dir immer noch gut in Stuttgart!

    ReplyDelete
  31. She is gorgeous, congratulations on becoming parents. We became the proud parents of our handsome miniature Schnauzer puppy Stanley in January. He is such a joy 🐾🐾🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
  32. what a cute puppy is poppy. You will not regret letting a dog take over your heart, we would't be without our little man Moss. Have fun and she's going to be a fantastic addition to your lovely blog x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats!Our Barca is two and a half years old and we adopted her at 50 days old from a stray dogs charity. I wish I knew then about the fur because it is our only problem. The rest is just a miracle. Every day is a crazy lovely sweet day with a dog and she makes us so so happy!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on the new family addition! What a gorgeous puppy, and what a sweet name. We got a puppy last year and I can relate to how you must have felt, it's so exciting! Enjoy your new puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Adorable! Looks like Poppy has a couple of proud Papa's!!! Have fun! Loved your post! We are quite fond of our little zoo, also.

    ReplyDelete
  36. She is A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E!! Congratulations!! Now, I don't have to go to CuteOverload anymore :)
    the5cees.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my goodness. What a cute little thing you have there. And what doting and loving dog parents you guys are already! You are lucky indeed to have this bundle cuteness to bring even more love into your lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. She is just so adorable - congratulations on your new addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. How wonderful . She looks adorable and looks like the perfect addition to your family πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh gosh this dog is soooo cute... love it...

    ReplyDelete