Sunday 13 April 2014

Transformation!

Hello Lovelies! I hope you're enjoying the lovely Spring weekend? I'm sat outside lapping up the last of the late afternoon sun as I write this, BLISS!

I have a little something to share with you all!
Last week whilst walking home with our food shopping, Dennis and I passed a large pile of rubbish that was sitting outside of the local pub. Amongst the bags and bric a brac, I spotted this old and dirty wooden chair.


It was just crying out to be rescued! So with the big heart that I have, I decided to adopt it and give it a second chance at life.
I knew that underneath the dust


And old paint flecks (but maybe bird poop?!?!?!) there was a chair that was bursting with clean crisp energy.


Showing that I'm not just frilly ribbons, flowers and rainbows, I made a trip to the hardware store to pick up some sand paper and a little can of paint. 



I got to work cleaning the dirt off and sanding down the chair to make it nice and smooth. I got rid of any splinters and totally removed the old thinning varnish. 



Once all of the heavy duty work was done (It was harder work than I thought!!) I gave it a fresh coat of paint.


I chose a lovely bright turquoise called Pacific Turquoise.

It really set the chair off and made it look very fresh!


Once the first coat of paint had dried I gave it a second to make sure that it was nice and evenly painted. It was all finished!!
TA-DAH!!!


Quite a transformation!!! 
I'm so pleased with it!! I've wanted a bright wooden chair like this for a while now, but they are soooo expensive to buy in the shops. 
This one cost me under 5 euros!!!
It looks perfectly at home in our apartment and loves to snuggle up with my granny square blanket.



A real treat of a project that brought me instant satisfaction and a real transformation for this old chair! I can't get enough of that turquoise!!!


This post has moved!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.

Click here to read this post in full at it's new home!

30 comments:

  1. Bravo to you for rescuing that beauty from being crushed in a landfill! You did a fine job on it and the color is perfect.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa!!! I'm very happy with it! Did you notice that my blog reading list is back? It's not in the same format as it used to be, but still lists my favourite blogs :-)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous - I love that turquoise - the perfect colour! Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous chair, love the colour

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful, and it's my favorite color too!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you pimped the chair. I once pimped a chair by cutting flowers out of magazines and glue them to the chair, take a look at http://www.pinterest.com/pin/229050331018514985/ for an idea. Love you blog and photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really lovely, very beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! All our dining room chairs are rescue chairs painted 'Havana Blue', they make me feel good everytime I see them. I hope you get to rescue many more chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colour!!! Well done Matt Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Qué buen cambio Matt. Me encanta el color! Besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I think I will follow your idea and I'll do the same with my old chair his grandfather ;)

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chair is very pretty. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Le has devuelto su dignidad.Buen trabajo Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done. Great rescue job and fabulous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb job of rescuing a cast-off and making it wanted again. I'm an aqua fan from the seventies when everyone else loved avocado. I wanted turquoise !~! Still do. You did a fab job; it looks so fresh and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous! That is one of my favourite colours! It does look right at home, especially with the granny blanket.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous and is a great feeling when you can restore something to be loved all over again ☺

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to have a set of these in the 70's. They are made by a firm called Erco and are expensive when new. Lovely shape ( and colour).

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did an amazing job! I have done this kind of restoration before and that sanding by hand is no joke. I love the color you picked and what a great setup for a blanket photo session :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hola Matt!! por fin encontre el traductor !!! fantastica la transformación de esta silla un
    hermoso trabajo, me encantó el color que elegiste muy alegre y con la manta se luce genial!!
    maravilloso!! felicidades!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Una transformación maravillosa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Bro... i just found your blog and i loved it.

    It has so much inspiration in it! I think i'm going to stay here for a while.

    Have a good day =)

    btw... the chair's color is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Matt,
    I bet that chair loves you! It looks
    great, love the colour.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  24. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is lovely! :)

    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amei!!
    Queria tanto encontrar uma cadeira dessas...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just beautiful I love the Turquoise color and it looks great with your granny square blanket.. w/love Janice

    ReplyDelete