Tuesday 4 December 2012

Creative Christmas: Christmassy Jars!

Hello there!! My aren't you looking fabulous this evening! I'm so glad you could join me!
I have another little Christmassy project to share and hopefully inspire your creative minds!!

Ever since transforming some old jars over the summer (read about it here) I've been kind of hooked on the idea of making-over old glass jars. I thought it was about time I put my ideas to the test and once again recycle some more beloved jars, but this time for the festive season.

I've been busy eating my way through various types of jarred food, so that I'd have some tools for this project :-)
I can't tell you how quick, simple and satisfying this project is!
You just need some old jars and string, plus a sprinkle of creativity! Here's what I did:
I ate my way through a jar of gherkins, peeled off the label and washed the jar out.


I placed a blob of glue in the position where I wanted my string to begin.


I attached my string (I just bought this from the local supermarket) to the glue and started to wind it around my jar as neat as possible.



Every now and then I'd add a blob of glue to secure my string.


Once I was satisfied with the amount of string, I fixed it with one final blob from my trusty glue gun.


Oh how simple and neat that looks!!


For that Christmassy touch, I gave the string a little covering of gold acrylic paint.


I like the natural look of the string, but I love the gold Christmassy string!


I pulled out my collection of embroidery thread, buttons, bells and ribbons, and made myself some cute little decorations.


I added some Christmas holly. (Using Lucy at Attic24's Jolly Holly pattern)


I added festive ribbon and a classic button, plus a couple of golden bells.


I crocheted some mini flowers and glued them to my jar.


Here's what I ended up with!


Cute eh?
They are perfect for dotting around the apartment! I added candles for a magical glow.


and candy for festive feasts!


Not only do I love how simple and cute they are, I love that I can fill them with just about anything!


A very simple and fulfilling project!
Why not give it a whirl? I promise you wont be disappointed!!!


This post has moved!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.

Click here to read this post in full at it's new home!

32 comments:

  1. how nice and simple! love them
    lucky me I have lots of jars I collect them for my homemade jam Thanks for sharing
    I'm gonna ad your blog to my list You make verry pretty things
    have a nice evening
    www.chriscreaties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! And as always your pictures are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely, will def try these, such great gift ideas :)
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really delightful - and you must LOVE gherkins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. supers jolis !! original et pratique pour cacher soit des bougies soit des bonbons de noël , vive les cornichons !! :)
    bises
    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Qué bonitos!!
    Gracias por la idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wunderschön......ich habe auch einem Glas eine Hülle verpasst :)

    Deine Idee finde ich auch cool.

    Have a nice Day.... Heike

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, gorgeous pics! Love the jars - what a sweet idea. Will definitely try it.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post - and so inspiring and Christmassy!! Love it!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!!!!! I-LO-VE-IT!!!! Congratulations for your work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very cute! They would be great presents too, providing you are prepared to give them away....

    Love,

    Ilse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute. I crocheted a stripey cover for a pickled onion jar this spring - it's the perfect size for a few bunches of daffodils or tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really cute, love the crochet things! Thank you for wonderful inspiration and have a happy week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. splendid idea!!! thank you,
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your jars Matt especially with the candles in with that lovely
    glow ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so very creative! We've got painters in our house for 2 weeks, it's really cramping my decorating!
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bellas ideas, gracias por compartir saludos

    ReplyDelete
  18. simply beautiful! and also your pictures are always so good! where do you take them?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant Matt! You make it look so easy... I imagine glue and string might get a little messy for me... but I'm willing to give it a go... :)x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love, love you blog and became a follower. Greetings from Holland.
    Liszha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love them! Since a few months I'm saving my jars too, but not knowing what to do with them.. I will definately going to give this a try. They look soo cute!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blog is great Matt and your ideas are fantastic. These jars are soo pretty! Definitely one to do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your jars, very festive and creative. Beautiful photography too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what another fab idea..but I am not eating a whole jar of gherkins..think I will use pasta jars lol;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. oooooo!! I love the depth the gold paint gave to the string! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are really pretty - thanks for sharing Matt. I have been using up all kinds of jars this week but they are all a bit unpleasant in shape. I must be more discerning nexd time I buy jars of food!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful....wow...you are great !

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful. Give us a candy cane ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  29. ive been home for weeks with a back injury just fouond your blog wish I had found it weeks ago!!!! love it and your ideas and whimsy !!! cheered me right up!

    pat fletcher pfletcher2010@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment!