Monday 6 February 2012

I've been cheating...

Yes, it's true, I'm guilty! I've been cheating a lot recently! But don't worry, the only thing I've been cheating on is: Crochet. I don't know why, but recently I've become very interested in knitting!

Now I have never been a big knitter, I've tried it a couple of times over the last years but never had very good results, uneven stitches, ending up with more stitches after a couple of rows, or big holes in my work. I never got much further than about 10 rows before I would give up.

About two years ago I did a little experiment again. I was walking around the craft store in town, and they were advertising Felting Yarn. Really thick wool, that was made to be felted! As an example they had these felted house shoes hanging there, and I was sold! I wasn't very keen on the example though, it was shaped like a big fish, and didn't see myself wearing those ;-)

Without hesitating, I bought myself a couple of different colors, and the big double pointed needles that were supposed to be used with this yarn. I knew nothing about knitting in the round or using these DPN's but I was up for the challenge!

The only thing I knew about knitting these socks, was that I needed to make them huge, because the yarn shrinks about 40-50% after washing. I found a super easy pattern on line, with a video tutorial to go with it for a basic sock with a low cuff. The pattern is not at all meant for big sized house shoes, but when using thick yarn and thick needles, it works out perfect! I ended up knitting a plain knitted cuff without any ribbing because all detail was going to be lost in the felting and I liked the idea that the cuff would curl downwards. Knitting on DPN's turned out to be just like knitting with two needles, since you only work with 2 needles at a time! It was easy to work with thick yarn and big needles because I could see very clearly what I was doing.
I wasn't quite sure exactly how big I would have to make them, but I just took a guess and made them really really big.

The exciting thing was washing them! I just put them in the machine with a pair of old jeans (to agitate the yarn) and did a full cycle with just a little bit of fabric softener. And there they were, from a soft knitted sock, to a sturdy and thick shoe! They were a little small, but when wet they can stretch quite a lot! I just forced them on my feet, wore them for a couple of minutes, and took them off to let them dry in that shape. And now they're a perfect fit! And I've made many since! For Matt (who's already on his second pair), and for some of my friends!


After making a couple of these shoes, I gave up on knitting again, and became more and more interested in crochet! I'm still in love with crochet, but like I said before, I've been cheating recently! I don't know why exactly, but I've got the knitting fever at the moment! I've put down all my crochet projects and started a lot of knitting projects! A while ago we posted some pictures of our projects, and there was a little preview of a project I was knitting. Well, I'm very proud to show my finished project: an Entrelac Pillow!

Now I couldn't have made this pillow without the very helpful video tutorials from Stacy at VeryPink.
Her tutorials have basically taught me everything I needed to know about knitting. Her video's are very clear, she explains everything very detailed, and I love how she shows all her techniques individually against a white background and with quite thick needles. A while ago she posted this video tutorial on how to knit entrelac which was something I wanted to try for a long time, but never had the guts to try! I bought some lovely Noro Kureyon yarn, in a colorway I thought would fit great on our sofa, and started my project. I had to adjust the width a little because the tutorial is for a scarf, and it would have been to small, so I just added some stitches. 

I think a pattern like this really shows off the Noro yarn, and gets the most out of it. It's already being used every day and looks great together with all our other homemade pillows! It was a little bit challening working the short rows back and forth, picking up stitches and switching the purling and knitting, but I'm very excited with the results! My stitches are not completely even yet, but I'm getting the hang of it! 


I sort of expected I would get back to my normal crocheting after this pillow, but I didn't feel satisfied yet. I suddenly had this urge to learn everything there was to learn about knitting. Well, maybe not 'everything' but at least I wanted to get more experienced with it and I was really enjoying it!

I started to experiment with some different patterns, like this cute little ball band dishcloth!

And maybe I could even learn to do some fair isle? I took 'baby' steps, and started with this small hat with a simple motif.

After visiting the fabulous blog by Inga Helene, I wanted to try the pattern that she had used for a potholder/dishcloth. Now mine is not any of those, but just a 'thing' knitted in the round to learn how to work with 2 different colors in the same row! Stranded (fair isle) knitting is really interesting! The only thing that I find hard, is making sure you leave the strands quite loose, because your finished project might have no stretch at all if you keep it too tight.


Now this was something really really scary for me, but I even knitted some gloves! Again, a great tutorial and pattern from Stacy at VeryPink.com.



And I had to have a go at cables! This is again something that I've unraveled already, since I found it way too time consuming, but definitely fun, and beautiful results!


Last week I discovered a great knit designer! His name is Stephen West and at his young age he has already released 3 books! His designs are beautiful and don't look too difficult too make. I also find that all this designs look extremely wearable.

My first project was the Windschief hat, of which I sadly don't have a photograph yet. I finished it in one day, and it was a very fun pattern to work on!

When I saw his pattern for the Loxley hooded scarf, I fell in love with it, and just had to try it right away! We still had some soft dark grey worsted weight Merino yarn at home, and I decided to give the pattern a try. I thought it was going to be quite complicated because it has an integrated icord throughout the whole pattern, and a provisional cast on, and wrap & turns, and ssk's, and knit2togethers and picking up 96 stitches along an icord and, and, and... But you know what? It was so very clear in the pattern! When I had to pick up such a big amount of stitches, I was sure I wouldn't know where to put my needle, and I would for sure not end up with the right amount, because that happened before when I made the houseshoes, or even with the entrelac pillow. But everything works in this pattern!


The hardest part is done now, the hood is finished! The oval shape on the picture is the back of the head. 


Now it's just plain knitting for the length of the scarf part, one side at a time. I still have a lot to do, because I want my scarf to be quite long, because these temperatures here in Hamburg are lower than ever!

What I love about this pattern, is how neat the finished product looks, mainly because of the genius icord along the sides, and the design of the back of the hood. And I have to say, i'm so very happy that there's very very little purling involved in this scarf! Garter stitch!

I realize I didn't mention any details about the way I knit. I literally went through all the possible techniques! I started as a 'thrower', which is the English style. You basically take the yarn with your right hand and 'throw' it over the needle, and make your stitch. I didn't really know better but got really frustrated with how slow it went. Especially with ribbing it was a nightmare! I decided to learn continental which felt a lot easier for me, since I crochet so much! You hold the yarn in your left hand and sort of 'hook' the stitches with your right needle.

I also learned the 'Flicking' technique from Stacy at VeryPink.com. I saw her 'flicking' in all her instructional videos and couldn't manage to copy her movement, but after a lot of trial and error, I finally managed to do it! I find my stitches to turn out a little tight with this technique so I'm using a lot of continental at the moment!

I hope I can show you all some more projects soon, but it might take a while since I will be going into the hospital on Wednesday to get both my tonsils removed. I've had a lot of problems with them over the last couple of years, and ever since my last tonsillitis, they still don't feel completely normal, so the doctors told me it would be best to get rid of them. At least I have a good reason to keep knitting when I'm lying in the hospital! I'm already planning on some fair isle mittens with some fabulous Rowan yarn! More to come!

Dennis xxx
This post has moved!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.

Click here to read this post in full at it's new home!

26 comments:

  1. Dennis! How can you possible make so much progress in knitting in such a short time! I have struggled for years with Entrelac and with knitting in the round... but gloves? Cables? Fair Isle? Thanks so much for all your links...I am going to follow them religiously and hopefully, one day... maybe I will get up to your standard! I am absolutely gob-smacked (old English expression meaning amazed)! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your knitting progress in such a short time is amazing.
    I've made socks and done cable but never tried Fair Isle or Entrelac (cushion looks brilliant).
    I wonder how long it will be before people are talking about the new knitting and crochet book "According to Matt"?
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your knitting is amazing! I have been cheating too. I am a crocheter but am doing some knitting now. I am really enjoying it. I bought a bunch of knitting needles and a couple books. I have definitely not caught on as fast as you but I'm having fun. It's really relaxing.

    I love your projects! Have fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I've been a cheater for a long time as I do both. :-) I love all your projects! I've done Fair Isle and some cabling, it was fun. Are the gloves yours? I would love to see them photographed on a hand. The cable project was amazing with the way the colors went and the Celtic knot look of the design. You are one amazing guy! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have (temporarily) abandoned my beloved knitting and swapped it for an obsession with couture/handsewing. I'm feeling the call of the needles again now though! Well done on learning all these techniques so quickly! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Dennis, these knitting projects are gorgeous, and so neat! Ooh, I've been cheating as well, my MIL taught me how to knit a month and a half ago. I definitely prefer to crochet as it comes a lot more natural to me, but how I love knitted texture! My biggest motivation to learn is definitely fairisle ♥ (yours looks gorgeous!). Thank you for the links, they come in really handy because I'm still struggling! I've finished a Dr. Who-scarf for my boyfriend (all simple garter stitch ;-)), and now I'm trying circular needles with this simple pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lalas-simple-shawl
    Good luck in hospital! Isn't it with the removal of tonsils that afterwards you're actually allowed to eat lots and lots of icecream? ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am awestruck! You guys Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! such amazing stuff that you've made - I love the entrelac cushion, that techniques been on my 'must learn' list for ages! Hope the hospital stay goes well and you get lots of knitting done x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, aren't you talented. I love all the work both of you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok Dennis, you've gone from a total shaky beginner to a reasonably accomplished knitter in no time at all! No question about it, you're a natural:) Keep it up!
    By the way, don't worry about "cheating" on crochet. Your love for that will never go away. What happens with me is that each one goes in cycles, which is great, since you're much less likely to get burned out on either one. Enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful.....everything.....you're both so very talented. Good Luck with the tonsils.....loads of ice cream afterwards highly recommended....and lots and lots of TLC which I just know you will receive!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! I have always been a crocheted, (45 years, since I was 7), but a few years ago decided I wanted to try to knit. I couldn't find anyone to teach me at the time so I learned through utube and blog videos. I'm currently learning entrelac and I'm so impressed by your pillow. I love cables and fair isle. Don't care for gloves but make lots of mittens for charity. I found continental to be much easier also because of crocheting for so long. I love to see another crocheted develop a love of knitting. It doesn't mean you love one more than the other, just that now you can do whatever strikes your fancy at the time.

    Good luck in your hospital stay. Take lots and lots of yarn!

    Blessings,

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi to you both! I love seeing what your working on, I have also tried knitting but it just doesn't click for me. I will however check out the links you gave and perhaps try it again. Thanks for sharing and I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you're into knitting lately! I also like the gusto with which you tackle new things! Everything is just beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your work is beautiful! I cannot believe your knitting is the work of a beginner. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of you are so talented and creative! Your projects are so beautiful, and you both have a great eye for color. Thanks for the link to Staci's site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, what a great projects!
    The pillow is wonderful!
    And I love the details of the badcloth and the fair isles thingies :)
    I've always had the same thing: I really want to learn to knit, but I go so slow and don't know how to correct mistakes... So after a couple of rows I give up.
    At the moment I am giving it a new go... I'm making a scarf with three cables.
    It's okay, but I prefer crochet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your knitting is beautiful!!! I've always wanted to do entrelac and you've inspired me!!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wahou....gloves! (among others...) I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate to tell you but one you have the knitting fever, it is hard to come back from it. While crochet will always be there for you, it will never be as fun as knitting. ;)
    Amazing projects that you have done in such a short perios of time. Stephen West is one of my favorite designers along with Jared Flood. You have great taste. Enjoy your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh sorry for all the typos, it is late.

      Delete
  21. I'm glad you enjoy knitting so much now, and I'm not surprised at the speed of your progress. I crocheted for over 30 years, but had to set it aside due to pain in my thumb and wrist. Like you, I had tried knitting several times over the years and never took to it. When it seemed to be my only choice, I guess I tried a little hader, because within a few weeks I'd made a sweater. Even though crochet and knitting are very different, I think the experience you gain in either will help with the other. Things like understanding garment structure, guage, yarn tension and knowing the properties of different fibers definitely make the transition easier. That, and just loving to work with yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow... I'm so impressed!!! I have been knitting for about 10 years and I have not tried as many variety of projects as u have . You are a great knitter and I Looooovvvveeee the entreat pillow. It looks wonderful! I think you do great work with your crochet, but you are definetelly a great knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, this weekend is pleasant in support of me,
    as this moment i am reading this enormous educational
    paragraph here at my home.
    My homepage :: where to download movies

    ReplyDelete
  24. Genial Matt tejes super rapido, la verdad es que cada que visitó tu blog vuelvo una y otra vez a algunas paginas que cosas tan bellas tejes...gracias por el traductor de idiomas es genial !!

    ReplyDelete
  25. מדהים, מדהים, מדהים !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment!